RJ Hubs are a community led restorative justice approach to youth crime and conflict. Our vision is that RJ Hubs are safe spaces in the community where youth are welcomed and supported in building healthy relationships, expressing themselves, addressing trauma, and developing necessary skills and competencies. Importantly, the RJ Hub model is directly informed by the latest science on childhood trauma. It is designed as a strategy for helping people to move beyond the effects of adverse childhood experiences, guiding them towards sustainable healing and growth.
Through a restorative justice philosophy, RJ Hubs create safe and healthy community spaces where disconnected and court involved youth experience belonging, opportunity and positive transformation.
Restorative Justice Hubs create healthy and nurturing communities where youth are welcomed and supported. Youth and families are engaged in pro-social, hospitable, and supportive ways that enable youth to express themselves and be supported in becoming responsible members of their community.
This vision will be realized through:
- Using restorative justice philosophy and practices as the foundation for the RJ Hubs.
- Recognizing that violence causes trauma and trauma causes violence; hurt people hurt people.
- Community members taking the lead in creating safe and welcoming spaces within the community.
- Engaging and collaborating with community and systems resources to support the needs of youth and family.
- Building, restoring and strengthening relationships.
- Rooting hospitality and accompaniment in the mission.
- Promoting the youth’s increased connection to and sense of belonging to the community.
- Engaging in peacemaking efforts within the community.
- Advocating for the reinvestment of justice dollars to build community capacity.
- Evaluating and measuring the impact of these efforts on the safety and well being of the community.
- Practices that promote healing.